Monday, February 22, 2016

Get it Right Get it Tight: Kickboxing

Last time we talked fitness, I was raving about Kaia Fit, and how amazing it was and how amazing I felt. I still stand by those statements. It is a great program, however, it's not for me. What I wanted was to gain strength and muscle. What I got was cardio workouts that equaled body shredding of fat and endurance; Not a bad thing at all, just not what I was desiring out of a workout.



So I stopped going. I cancelled my VIP membership and just went line dancing. I lost a lot of endurance I had, and while dancing is great, again, it wasn't doing what I needed to change about my body. I couldn't quite pick up running again. A few things contributed to that. First off, when I was doing squats in Kaia, no one mentioned to not drop your knees over your toes. I had my weight in my heels yes, but my knees had leaned forward over my toes, rather than sitting back like I was sitting in a chair. Secondly, I danced so hard and frequently in the beginning of the year in addition to Kaia, so I think the combination of improper squats and dropping it like it's hot to a few line dancing songs killed my knees.



I've been trying to let my knees heal, but in that song Whiskey Drinking SOB when they say "One step two stepping out on the floor, you pop lock and drop it till you can't anymore" it's hard to not drop it when everyone else around you is. I've gotten better about it. Just need to keep telling myself if I don't stop dropping it, I'm going to have to have my knees replaced. So that's a process.



So, my new form of working out? Kickboxing. One of my coworkers talked about a banging deal for 3 kickboxing classes for $20 ($19.99 if you wanna get technical with it) and a free pair of gloves through ilovekickboxing.com. I thought that it was a good deal and decided to sign up. Well if you go through Yelp.com, there's a deal for 5 classes for $30 and gloves. Groupon is also running a special for the Reno classes. So it's a great way to test and see if you like it.



Sure enough, I did. There's a great grueling 15 minute warm up, which the more I go, the shorter it seems. Following that is stretching, which I think could use a little improving maybe? Its always the same stretches but I don't know what other ones could target the same muscles. And then the rounds begin. Rounds are varied with punches and kicks. Based on ability level, you can control your own workout. You can hit the bag has hard or as soft as you want. A few girls have kicked the bags over. I'm surprised that in the classes I've taken, no man has yet.



After the rounds, there's a short partner workout for a couple minutes, followed by a final round of stretching.



It's a great workout, and I truly enjoy it. I see the type of results I want. I know I'm not getting a ton of strength in my upper body, that would come from the gym and lifting. But I'm happy coming from where I was and getting to where I am. I got a full year membership there. But with all the moving and what not, finances weren't really supporting my working out, so I put it on pause. And Feb 9th, 2016, I made my return. Life had finally calmed down enough to where I can make time to go work out again. And let me tell you, I had forgotten how sore I was. Hoooo baby. I'm feeling it. But, it just means I need to keep on plugging to get back to where I was before I paused. (Can't say I quit, because I'm back!)








I'm really excited for the results I've seen, and excited for what's to come!

Until next time
-S

No comments:

Post a Comment