Friday, November 28, 2014

Book Review: Dark Places - Gillian Flynn

Dark Places was one of the three books I received complimentary of birchbox through their birchbloggers book club program. Having better expectations for this book after liking Sharp Objects, it didn't take me long to tear through it.

 

After finishing it, I can say that the book moved slower than SO. The book is broken up based on different character's perspective: Libby, the only surviving daughter; Patty, the mother's perspective from the night of; and Ben, the suspected and convicted killer who everyone is trying to prove innocent, and at the end a very brief chapter of the killer's rationale for the night (I can neither confirm nor deny that Ben is or is not the killer). Like I mentioned in my review of The Help, it's more difficult for me to get through a story when it's told from different characters. Unlike The Help, however, this book switched between flashbacks of Ben and Patty, to present day view of Libby.

Libby's perspective was the most prevalent throughout the book. I found myself going back and forth with liking her as the narrator, and dislike her thinking she may have partaken in the killing. She is a disturbed klepto character trying to unravel the mystery of what happened the night her mother and two sisters were murdered. It leads her to some interesting locations included an area of strip clubs at a trucker stop and a hazardous homeless camp likened to Hooverville. There's also Satanic practices that some of the characters take part in, which is an interesting idea because it is one I know nothing about.

The amount of gruesome detail Gillian Flynn puts into this novel is so exquisite, it made my stomach turn over. Her word choices are on point. The research for this novel is extensive and I do give the author props for writing what may be perceived as a controversial topic. But controversial makes the for the most interesting material.

Ranking these novels I'd put SO first, then DP and finally GG. Thank you to birchbox for the opportunity to read these novels.

If you want to follow brief ratings and reviews on books, you should look for me on Good Reads (link opens in new window). It's a great way to track books in your life: Books you've read, want to read and are currently reading. 

Until next time,

-Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment