Friday, November 28, 2014

Book Review: Yes Please - Amy Poehler

Thanks again to Birchbox for their birchbloggers book club and allowing me to get in on the November list. This months book is Amy Poehler's comical autobiography: Yes Please. 

(Photo from google)

This book was the first autobiography I've read in quite some time, and I really enjoyed it. From her tell it like it is opener of writing is rough and tough, through the struggle of no name improv troupe to big name star and ending with hope for the future, the book is chock full of humor. 


It's always nice when authors include bits and pieces of their life growing up. The above picture is a poem Poehler had written at the young age of 13. Can we just admire her penmanship for a moment? I'll wait....

...
...
...

Ok. Admiration over. In addition to the blast from the past and witty words, the pages are colorful and broken into three sections. The second I found most empowering. 


Plus yellow is such a happy color, wouldn't you agree? 

Her book is unlike any other book I've encountered. While it fits the general pleasure reading size and length, the pages scream leisure coffee table book. The pages are that shiny heavier weighted stuff. So, 1-the book is heavy, good gosh. Such a difference from the other five books finished previously. 2-there always seemed to be a glare from this light or that light so that reading it becomes 3-a workout! Not only was I holding a heavier book but moving it around to keep the light off the text I was reading gave me minuscule amounts of cardio. 

All in all however, I did quite enjoy this book and have already passed it along to my mother to read with instructions to pass it to my sister when she's done. 

That's all I've got to say, so 


Until next time 

-Samantha 

No comments:

Post a Comment