Monday, November 10, 2014

Book Review: Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn

So I was lucky enough into get the birchbox book club for October. The lovely book for that month? The complete set of Gillian Flynn's work: Gone Girl (GG), Dark Place (DP) and Sharp Objects (SO).


Now, I've already read GG. While I was a fan of the storyline, I was not a fan of the ending. I was sitting in an office building back in June in Missouri and I'm pretty sure if there were cameras around they would have seen me chuck the book down the hallway, minus the actual throwing of the book. It was just the motion of it. I was furious with the way the book ended. I almost swore off Flynn's works because I didn't want to be disappointed again. 

So when I got the birchbox email, I was excited. I ended up changing my mind there and wanted to see how the other two books panned out. 

Once I received my books and I saw all of them together and the difference in spine design, I decided that maybe they'd be different. DP and SO are both matte in their cover whereas GG is glossy. This gave me some hope.
 

I picked up SO first. I didn't have a preference for reading one before the one. I'm not going to go into the summary of the book, because I'm sure you can find that in every place where you'd buy the book: online, or heck on the book itself should go to a store to pick it up.

I was actually quite surprised. I liked it start to finish: storyline and ending. The plot development was a little slow, but it gave enough time to get to know the characters and make your assumptions about "whodunnit".

One thing I enjoyed about this book was it reminded me of Jodi Picoult's books. You're kind of strung along to make believe it's one person, but in the end, it's someone else. Maybe it's because I don't read a lot of mysteries that I was surprised at the end. I definitely had an inkling and thought it would be one character, but they were rendered innocent, and the person who did end up the culprit: shocker.

Comparatively speaking, I would recommend Sharp Objects over Gone Girl. I am one of those readers who enjoys feeling satisfied at the ending. I know not all endings are happy, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading Dark Places. Hopefully it will please like SO and not disappoint like GG.

If you want to follow brief ratings and reviews on books, you should look for me on Good Reads (link opens in new window). It's a great way to track books in your life: Books you've read, want to read and are currently reading.

Leave a comment down below with a book you've come across that surprised you at the end.

Until next time

-Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment